Search This Blog

Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Statistics

I came across this one website, 10 Shocking Statistics about Children and Divorce, and it gave a lot of interesting information about children and divorce in general and the effects divorce has on children.  Before the statistics, the author of this page said something that I totally agree with, "These days most people accept divorce as a way of life, completely unaware of the damage they are doing to their children."  She then got into the facts.  Some startling statistics that I came across were that of all children born to married parents this year, 50% will experience the divorce of their parents before they reach their 18th birthday; half of all American children will witness the breakup of a parent’s marriage; compared to children from homes disrupted by death, children from divorced homes have more psychological problems and children living with both biological parents are 20 to 35 percent more physically healthy than children from broken homes.





The statistics that I listed above were the ones that I thought were the most shocking.  This post on the website was posted in 2006, about 7 years ago.  I can only imagine that the percentages are higher now than back then.  Like the author said, people are being more and more accepting of divorce; it's becoming a way of life.  It certainly is becoming a way of life, especially in 2013.  TV shows are beginning to revolve around divorced couples and celebrities get married and get divorced every other day.  From the media as a major source of shaping society, how can't divorce become a "way of life"?  The most shocking statistic was that compared to children from homes disrupted by death, children from divorced homes have more psychological problems.  That's crazy!  The only way I can see this as true is if the child wasn't close to the person who died.  I find it so hard to believe that children form more psychological problems from their parents being divorced than by a death in the family.  Maybe if the child is young the death wouldn't have as much of an impact on them?  I find it mind-boggling.

I would highly recommend that you read the rest of the statistics.  Some of them I can understand, but others I was totally surprised with.  What statistics, from what I mentioned or from the article, do you find most startling? 

No comments:

Post a Comment